a little background

hi, my name is mandy and I have two amazing little boys. My oldest son, Ty, has been diagnosed with autism (which is what you will read most about in this blog); I also have Tripp, who is an amazing little brother to Ty (who you will also hear alot about). I was encouraged to start this blog to document our journey through life and life with autism... my world has been rocked in last few years and i have responded in good ways and bad ... but Jesus has gotten me through all of it...





i hope i can be an encouragement to you, and for the friends and family that will read this - maybe this will keep you posted indepth on what Ty is learning! :) and the adventures of Tripp too





thank you for reading, and if you have any questions, comments or smart remarks; feel free to post them.



Thursday, August 4, 2011

some people make me angry!

ok I normally don't post twice in one day... I usually don't post twice in one month ... but this really ticked me off ... I guess my blog has also become my soap box at times ....
I read an article about the autism project through USM's gulf coast campus and this was a comment from an anonymous writer
"having a "special" child in a mainstream classroom diminishes the quality of education received by the other students. 
The teacher is forced to spend a disproportionate amount of time with the "special" student. Classroom disturbances caused by the "special" student interfere with the learning process and disrupt the educational process for the other students. 
If my kid is "normal" and I also pay school taxes, what right do you have to diminish the quality of my child's education, just so your "special" child can be in a regular classroom like "everyone else?"


where does it end? Do you really have to fight every person to explain to them that your child's quality of life is just as important as theirs? Now I have two kids and one who, for a better lack of words, we will call "normal" but that doesn't mean I am going to teach him to distance himself from his brother or any other child with a special need? Just like any child in school the parents should be involved in their education and not leave it completely up to the teachers anyway... but if you really want to fight for something then fight for more teachers with better pay so that they will be willing and able to assist the kids that are in their classroom and so that they will be happy doing it! Don't take it out on the kids!

compassion people...

No comments:

Post a Comment