a little background

hi, my name is mandy and I have two amazing little boys. My oldest son, Ty, has been diagnosed with autism (which is what you will read most about in this blog); I also have Tripp, who is an amazing little brother to Ty (who you will also hear alot about). I was encouraged to start this blog to document our journey through life and life with autism... my world has been rocked in last few years and i have responded in good ways and bad ... but Jesus has gotten me through all of it...





i hope i can be an encouragement to you, and for the friends and family that will read this - maybe this will keep you posted indepth on what Ty is learning! :) and the adventures of Tripp too





thank you for reading, and if you have any questions, comments or smart remarks; feel free to post them.



Thursday, August 4, 2011

A week of ABA therapy

My little Ty man had a solid week of ABA (applied behavioral annalysis) therapy! He is more talkative and purposefully vocal! He asks for ball "ba ba ba", more drink by signing "more" and then "drink" and he also says "ma mo ma" while tapping his mouth for a drink, he has asked for purple p "pa pa pa" and he somewhat independently eats with a spoon!!! He still needs some help with the feeding but he is getting there! Now he doesnt always make his sounds in 3's sometimes its more than that and sometimes its just once; but you get the idea.
Kamrie has learned a whole lot and is really becoming a wonderful therapist! Maria taught us so much in the week she was with us; what to do/what not to do ... things we need to expect instead of just letting him get by with the minimum - now its not easy but I have seen the benefits! So as hard as it is for me to expect Ty to ask me for things instead of me just giving him what I know he wants, and he knows that and he challenges me with his little grin and smerk or his stubborn streak (he gets that honest I know!), I just have to suck it up and do it.
If I dont expect great things out of him then who will. We are here to teach our children how to function in this world and it might take more time and be more challenging for some but isnt that why God gave them to us?!
Now my little Tripp man has been amazing. He has laughed with Ty, clapped for Ty, and even sat quietly while Ty was in therapy sessions! He really loves his brother and I hope and pray that that never changes! I pray daily that he will be his protector and always include him in everything he does! Now I know kids will be kids, but I hope that deep down they will have a bond stronger than any other siblings bc of their unique ability to understand and play together so smoothly. Tripp was playing with the laundry baskets Sunday morning, just pushing them around the kitchen. So Ty jumped in them with a huge grinn... so tripp started pushing him around the kitchen in the baskets! Those are the moments I love, there was no whining or fit throwing bc Ty got in the basket, he just decided to make it into a game! thats pretty amazing for my little 2 year old...
Now I'm not saying that everything is that easy, they do whine and fuss over things that are "mine" ... but its just so awesome that there are times that they both just play...Ty even sat in my lap while tripp rolled a car to him and then he would roll it back (typically, Ty would take the car and run with it bc he loves to be chased); so it was really amazing to see him sit and play with it on Tripp's terms! So i think Ty is beginning to understand that in order to play sometimes you have to do what the other person wants...

awesome stuff in our little world! thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment