a little background

hi, my name is mandy and I have two amazing little boys. My oldest son, Ty, has been diagnosed with autism (which is what you will read most about in this blog); I also have Tripp, who is an amazing little brother to Ty (who you will also hear alot about). I was encouraged to start this blog to document our journey through life and life with autism... my world has been rocked in last few years and i have responded in good ways and bad ... but Jesus has gotten me through all of it...





i hope i can be an encouragement to you, and for the friends and family that will read this - maybe this will keep you posted indepth on what Ty is learning! :) and the adventures of Tripp too





thank you for reading, and if you have any questions, comments or smart remarks; feel free to post them.



Wednesday, August 31, 2011

New places ...

Well I can't express how excited I am at this moment! Ty has been accepted to The Children's Center at The University of Southern Mississippi! This is a place that I did not know existed until this year and I put Ty on the waiting list and it seems like in just moments he was in (it took a month or two - and I know that is really fast but it seemed like it would never come... but now that we are here it seems like the time just flew by).
I kept in touch with one of the therapists at the Children's Center via email and she was very sweet and willing to answer all of my questions - not only about their center but also about Ty's therapy in general and she gave me insight and advice on different things and I was just yearning for the day that he could have a chance to work with this amazing group of people. People who genuinely care about my child and his well-being without even meeting him?! People who are willing to communicate with you about therapy for a child that they were not treating - really shows me that they are in this business for the right reasons.

So when I got the call that they wanted to evaluate Ty and she asked "when would be a good day & time" all I could say was "anyday, anytime, anywhere" (for those football fans you get this) but this really was my exact response :) So last friday Ty and I made a trip to USM; after & during his eval the coordinator came in to let me know how things worked, asked if I was ok with everything & that he would be starting Tuesday (which was yesterday) and I could barely sit in my seat, I wanted to jump up and hug the lady but I didn't want her to think I was crazy so I just said "ok great" as if I knew what was going on... but the truth is I didnt. I was under the impression that it was just an eval and then we would go from there... and part of me wanted to think it would be that easy but there was still a little doubt in the back of my mind, and I thought there was still a chance that they would have wait to place him. Come to find out - they created a group for Ty and another child.  Did they already have this in the works? Bc after their summer evals I was told that he would remain on the waiting list (which I was fine with) and then I started to wonder if my connections made an impression and thats why he got in... or maybe they fell in love with Ty from the picture I showed them? maybe they decided that since they were already emailing me then why not work with my son??? whatever the reason I will never know ... but the bible says "i know the plans i have for you says the Lord..." - yes Lord you do - and I see that now ... but i sure haven't always seen that.... and some days I still wonder.... but on that day... there was no doubt that I knew God had a plan!

So now what - well he had his first day of therapy yesterday, and that was fun! well it was fun for me and Ty is still learning who these people are and what they expect from him - but it was fun to watch him test his new therapists. They dont know what all he can do so as I am watching therapy behind a 2way mirror(which I love, bc the other therapy places I just sat in the hall at school and waited for him to come out) I laugh alot bc at first they were helping him sign "more" bc they didnt know he could say and sign more - I wish I had a camera, bc his face was priceless! the therapists asks him "more?" and grabs his little hands and helps him sign... and he just had this evil grin as if he is thinking "oh you dont know i know how to do this?!"
It's hard to sit behind a glass and watch someone require something of your son and him fuss and scream but still know that it is good for him. And to let Ty and his therapists get use to each other... I know they know what to do and how to handle him but part of me wants to be in there... but i'm sure the best thing is that they do it their way. right?
So when therapy was over- he was worn slap out, but in a good way - oh and he also got to go outside! which was awesome! And I told his teacher everything I knew to tell her and she did the same .... I am real excited to see where this takes us... I know he will soar like an EAGLE!

No comments:

Post a Comment