a little background

hi, my name is mandy and I have two amazing little boys. My oldest son, Ty, has been diagnosed with autism (which is what you will read most about in this blog); I also have Tripp, who is an amazing little brother to Ty (who you will also hear alot about). I was encouraged to start this blog to document our journey through life and life with autism... my world has been rocked in last few years and i have responded in good ways and bad ... but Jesus has gotten me through all of it...





i hope i can be an encouragement to you, and for the friends and family that will read this - maybe this will keep you posted indepth on what Ty is learning! :) and the adventures of Tripp too





thank you for reading, and if you have any questions, comments or smart remarks; feel free to post them.



Tuesday, September 22, 2015

What if you fly ...

I used to dread birthday parties, they would give me the shakes, because there were so many unknowns. Obviously we knew the person who invited us but what about all the other people? I would almost work myself up over all the little things so much that I would get a headache just thinking about all of the what if's. What if a kid picks on Ty? What if he has an accident? What if he accidentally hurts another child because he is just like a bull in an china shop sometimes? What if he slips away and runs off? What if someone stares at us and I say something inappropriate? I could go on and on but I'll stop here.

This year we have branched out and even attended a few 'outside of the family' birthday parties. Just this past weekend we went to a birthday party at a gym and the boys had a blast! When we arrived Ty went a little crazy with some doors but we were able to redirect him. Once we were in the party room he found some balloons and was thoroughly entertained with two balloons and a corner mirror. Tripp gets quiet in large groups with adults and kids and so he was over by the birthday boy not sure if he should put on his mask (it was a super hero party) or just leave it, he eventually decided to wear his captain america mask once the party got going. As we sat at the table visiting with everyone, this little girl came up to us and said "Hey Ty, Ty hey buddy". Ty was very busy in the mirror with his balloons but he did stop to recognize the little girl and just grunted and danced with his balloons. The little girl started talking to me and told me she went to school with Ty and that last year she used to take kids to his class and Ty would slam the door in her face. She said it so matter of fact and I kind of laughed and told her I was sorry he slammed the door. I explained how he loves to watch doors and he really loves to run. Her eyes got big and she said "oh I sure know that! We don't let him out the door when we take things to Mrs Raybon's class". I talked with her for a little while longer and then Ty decided he would join the conversation. He started jabbering and "talking" to her, showing her his balloon and she was just so sweet to him. I even heard her say "yeah that's right, tell me about it" almost in a motherly tone. My heart was so full in these moments. We left the party room and headed out to the gym area and this sweet little girl walked with us and wanted Ty to play with her. Ty discovered the jump from the top of the foam pit and wouldn't do anything else! He saw a boy scale the wall for a higher jump and immediately made his way over there, turned and looked at sam, pointed to the jump and said "EH!" As in Hey put me up there lol. I could constantly hear that girl saying "Ty hey look at this, there's a trampoline over here" "hey Ty, look a slide, do you wanna come with me" "Ty check this out" .... it was so sweet. Made my day to see just a friend from school who knows him and wanted to play. Tripp started off playing with Ty but he was real unsure about that big jump into the foam pit. So it took him a while to finally do it, and he was off with the boys running, jumping, scaling walls.... just doing whatever and coming back often to check on his bro and then finally making the jump off the ledge. When it was time to go, neither of the boys were ready and Ty fussed at first but he was pretty worn out so it wasn't a big fight.

So I guess all of that to say, birthday parties aren't that bad anymore. Yes some fears will always be there but if you go through life wondering "what if" and not doing something just because you're scared. Well then you will never do anything... there's a quote that says:

What if i fall? Oh, but darling, what if you fly?! - erin hanson

Ty was fearless on that foam pit jump... I have a few blurry pictures of him falling just flat out, face first-belly flop, into the foam. Not a care in the world and so excited. It makes me think of how brave he is, how willing he is to just fall, arms wide open, grinning and squealing with excitement... and how he can just fly .... That's exactly how we should be, we should be willing to let it all go and just fall face first into the arms of Jesus.... These boys of mine teach me something new every day, I don't know what I would do without them. Thanks for reading :) love y'all!
Here are a few blurry shots of Ty falling into the pit and a few of Tripp and that sweet little girl who played with Ty:












1 comment: