a little background

hi, my name is mandy and I have two amazing little boys. My oldest son, Ty, has been diagnosed with autism (which is what you will read most about in this blog); I also have Tripp, who is an amazing little brother to Ty (who you will also hear alot about). I was encouraged to start this blog to document our journey through life and life with autism... my world has been rocked in last few years and i have responded in good ways and bad ... but Jesus has gotten me through all of it...





i hope i can be an encouragement to you, and for the friends and family that will read this - maybe this will keep you posted indepth on what Ty is learning! :) and the adventures of Tripp too





thank you for reading, and if you have any questions, comments or smart remarks; feel free to post them.



Saturday, May 25, 2013

Graduation

As usual there is a lot going on and I'm not sure how or where to start?! Ty graduated from The Children's center at USM and it is definitely bitter sweet! He has come a long way from that first session, I remember him being so distracted by every little thing: doors opening and closing, voices in the halls, cabinets in the room, etc. He was also the only one in his group for a while and would have multiple "small tantrums" (just slinging things or refusing to do what was asked) throughout his 2 hour sessions. But he came around and once he learned the routine he enjoyed going to therapy! Then we met Andrew and his awesome momma, Ty and Andrew were so much alike, it was fun to watch them enter act and get excited over the same things! You could almost see it in their eyes...it's like they knew that they were on the same page! Then Ty ended up in a new group with two new friends and lots of challenges. He had to learn how to wait his turn and share all while still focussing on communication and sensory needs. He has come a long way, sitting patiently (in an open chair) and sharing, pointing to things he wants or needs, eating snacks without pulling his food out, using a napkin, drinking out of a cup, he's been following directions and using sign language and some words to communicate... There's so much that he has learned through the past 2 years and I'm not sure how I will handle this next transition, I'm not sure how he will handle it either...We have been very blessed to have been introduced to all the amazing therapists at USM, Will's Way and our amazing South Florida friend! I don't know where we would be without them!? The more days that go by, the more I realize that Ty will be in Kindergarten this August, the more I worry about the future...I have so many questions and concerns...

 But I think it's best if I just write about my hopes... I hope Ty is loved and cared for at school, I hope he makes friends and that he is challenged to reach his full potential, I hope that parents continue to teach their children how to love and accept others, no matter what challenges they face...I hope that teachers will have extreme patience with all their students and especially those that struggle to stay focused and on task...and I really hope that Ty loves school as much as he loves going to therapy... 

Tripp has been an amazing little brother in all of this and I am so lucky to have such a caring and loving 4 year old, he encourages Ty in all the little things and initiates conversation and playtime, he wants Ty to participate in everything he does- and that means the world to me... I call Tripp an old soul and he really is an old man trapped in a 4 year olds body most days! ;)

 Our families & friends have been extremely helpful in getting Ty where he needed to be and helping us physically get him there and constantly encouraging us to do the best for him and I hope you know how much we appreciate all you do! And to our amazing church family! Words cannot express how much we love each and every one of you! Thank you for encouraging Ty and including him in so much and pushing me to let him do more :)

 We have a whole new adventure starting and I am ready to strap in and see where God takes us! Thanks for reading!!! I love y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment